Our ultimate purpose as teachers should be to enable students to become autonomous and independent learners. Teaching children research skills is one of the main steps along that process. I created this video below for children to help with their ancient Greek research project. The suggestions covered, however, are relevant for any research project:
1. Search engines – use age appropriate search engines.
2. Mind Maps – Collate information in a visual way, to help organise your findings.
3. Keywords – type into search engines only the keywords.
4. Analyse – don’t trust everything you read! Skim and scan to check key indicators for the reliability of information.
5. Source – cite all the sources you have used for your research.